Community

Club

Purchase

Trade

 













Vineyards

Catherine’s

Paso Robles AVA


Lovett

Red Hills of Lake County AVA


Growers

Gallo

Phil Lovett


Harvest Dates

9/14/12, 9/13/11


Alcohol / pH

13.5 % / 3.42


Titratable Acidity

0.55 gms / 100mL


Cases Produced

325


Suggested Retail

$18

2012

California

Vermentino


We traveled the length and breadth of California researching vineyards and growers cultivating vermentino.  To the north, the Lovett Vineyard perches on a steep hillside overlooking Clear Lake, in the Red Hills of Lake County AVA.  Loose volcanic soil insures fast drainage and limits the naturally high vigor of the vermentino vines.  Reflected afternoon light off the lake helps the normally slow-ripening varietal reach perfection.  With ample sunshine and proximity to water, the site resembles the hillsides above the Mediterranean Sea where vermentino has been cultivated for centuries.

In the central coast, Catherine’s vineyard lies on the east side of Paso Robles AVA.  Flowing across gently undulating hills, these vineyards sit on sandy clay loam soil that drains well.  Farmed to low yields, we appreciate the viticultural practices employed that emphasize quality over quantity.


Winemaker Notes


Our 2012 Vermentino highlights this varietal’s unique qualities which makes it a perfect complement to seafood and lighter Mediterranean-type meals. 56% of the blend originates from the Sunnybrook Vineyard in San Luis Obispo county, providing a foundation of bright acidity and light citrus notes. Lovett Vineyard, in the Red Hills of Lake County AVA, contributes the other 44% with characteristic varietal flavors of apple, pineapple, and bay leaf.

The resulting blend presents a delightful citrusy, herbal nose, a full mouth-feel, followed by refreshing acidity at the finish. This wine is best served well-chilled, and when paired with simply prepared grilled fish, it evokes great dinners in port side restaurants along the beautiful coast of Italy. It takes us there every time.


Reviews


  1. GOLD MEDAL - SF Chronicle 2014 Wine Competition

  2. Wine Enthusiast - 90 pts - Best Buy Designation
    “What a great price for a white wine this crisp and likeable. It’s dry, yet rich, with orange, tropical fruit, honeysuckle, vanilla and white-pepper flavors, along with excellent acidity. The grapes come from Paso Robles and Lake County.”

  3. Steve Heimoff Blog - “Ten Best Buys of 2013” - 12/5/13
    “California needs more wines like this. Dry, crisp, minerally and fruity, the perfect antidote to oaky Chardonnay or sweet Sauvignon Blanc.”

  4. “Italy by way of California” by Steve Heimoff - 2/26/14
    One of three wines highlighted in this article “Great value in a bone-dry, minerally white, with crisp acidity, citrus and tropical fruit flavors”

 

© 2012 BAILIWICK WINE COMPANY ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

NEXT
WINE2010_Borderline.html